ABOUT THIS MODEL CAR:

The 1977 Trans-Am Special Edition became famous after being featured in the movie Smokey and the Bandit.

A distinctive, slant-nose facelift occurred in 1977. Pontiac offered the T/A 6.6 Litre 400 (RPO W72) rated at 200 hp (150 kW), as opposed to the regular 6.6 Litre 400 (RPO L78) rated at 180 hp (130 kW). The T/A 6.6 equipped engines had chrome valve covers, while the base 400 engines had painted valve covers. In addition, California and high-altitude cars received the Olds 403 engine, which offered a slightly higher compression ratio and a more usable torque band than the Pontiac engines of 1977.



BEFORE...

Click on the picture to see the details in each photo!


DURING...

This car is a full restoration project.  Initially it was purchased by the current owner’s father as a gift to her when she was in high school over 30 plus years ago.  She wanted her car back and started on a mission to get it back a couple of years ago and unbelievably has found her baby.  

We are excited to have a part in helping to restoring this vehicle.  Currently the car is gutted except for the engine and transmission. The vehicle is being rewired, and every nut and bolt on the car is being retightened. Meanwhile we are redoing the entire interior which includes, dashboard, door panels, headliner, back window area, side pockets by the floorboard, console, replacing window seals, stereo components, and complete interior.  

The exterior trim is being reinstalled and the wheels are being sandblasted, prepped, and repainted to its original look.  The body will receive a final wet sand and then buffed to a pristine shine. All of the factory décor including the big bird will be placed on the car.

A final Q.C. will be performed testing the engine, transmission, and rear end as well as all of the electrical components car will be ready for delivery.

Click on the picture to see the details in each photo!


While working on the 77 Trans Am, it was discovered that the car had the wrong transmission for that year. As a result the cross member did not fit in the right place, so someone had jerry rigged it to make it fit. Since it was in the wrong place we have had to cut off the cross member and put it in the right place along with the right transmission. Another problem they ran into was the steering column was full of sand, so the team had to take it apart and remove all the sand and rebuild the column. 


Got some of the upholstery put back in this today. Got the padding, speakers and mesh on the rear seat shelf. The rear seats are back in, it is starting to come back together again. Headliner is back on the roof and just needs a little more work until that is all finished up also.

Click on the picture to see the details in each photo!

Got the dash bezel and the gauges wired in. The gear shift is in and all ready to go.

Got the door panels done and working. 

Click on the picture to see the details in each photo!

Getting some body work done on the hood so it can get painted.

The block and the head have been vatted. The cylinders have been honed out and the cam bearings have been replaced.

Click on the picture to see the details in each photo!

 

Piston rods and rings have all been installed in the block.

We got the heads attached to the block, we also got it all painted.

The intake has been added to the engine and painted.

Remaining engine parts/accessories are in process of being reinstalled, also we have gotten both valve covers on.


AFTER...