In 1970, sheet metal revisions gave the bodies a more squared-up stance following the coke bottle styling, interiors were also redesigned too. The 1970 Chevelle shared many sheet metal body parts with the 1970 Buick Skylark GSX, both are GM automobiles and have interchangeable sheet metal. They're also the only 2 high performance muscle cars to share the same roofline. The 1970 Chevelle came in sport coupe, sport sedan, convertible, four-door sedan, a couple of wagons, and coupe utility (the El Camino) body styles. Oly 3 of these (Malibu sport coupe, Malibu convertible and El Comino pickup) were available with a choice of one of 2 SS options; RPO Z25 with the SS 396 (402 cid) engine and RPO Z15 with the new 454 cid engine. The base model was now simply called Chevelle (which causes confusion) in lieu of the former base 300 Deluxe , and was only as a Sport Coupe or four-door sedan. Up in Canada however, the base series retained its 300 Deluxe name, with appropriate badging on each front fender just behind the front wheel well. The hardtop, convertible, and sedan received the upgraded sheet metal but the station wagons and El Camino retained the previous year sheet metal panels (which went on for the next 2 model years.


Before...

This car came in already partly torn down from our client. He decided to go with an LS3 conversion. We will get the rest of the materials out of the car and then send it off to be media blasted. Most of the car came into the shop in boxes and pieces. 

Click on the photos to get a better look!


During...

The team got all of the little pieces out of car, the engine pulled and the rear windows out. Next the body and frame will be separated and be sent off the media blast to come back to bear metal. Then we will see how much work will be needed to be done on the body.

Removed the steering box from the frame, it was the last thing that was taken off. Next the body and frame will be separated and be sent off the media blast to come back to bear metal. Then we will see how much work will be needed to be done on the body.

Click on the photos to get a better look!

The car went off to the sand blaster today. When it comes back we will see how much work needs to be done on the body before paint.

With the body off to the sand blaster, we have the frame ready for some work. We broke down the entire frame to start working on cleaning it up and making it look like brand new.

Click on the photos to get a better look!

In the first picture we found this piece of rusted and broken metal, we replaced the part of the frame with a new part in the second picture.

Got the car back from the media blaster and as you can see in the pictures below, it will need some TLC.

Click on the photos to get a better look!

Boxed in the frame so that it will hold up better for the LS3 conversion that we are doing with it. 

Discovered this hole in the frame, we unearthed it because there was a bolt in the frame. After some labor of getting underneath and inside the frame, we now have a hole that we will have to fill in.

Click on the pictures to see them bigger!

Now that the hole is fixed and the bracket is back on we will move on to the next phase in restoring this frame.

Installing the new bearings and races on the rear end.

Click on the pictures to see them bigger!

Putting an LS3 engine in this car. Changing it up a little bit from the original engine that came with the car.

Taking the frame off to be powder coated, when it comes back it will be one solid color.

Click on the pictures to see them bigger!

The new body has arrived for the car. We will be taking it out of the creat and putting it on the frame.

We got the brake booster and master cylinder attached to the firewall.

Click on the pictures to see them bigger!

We got the engine mounted on the frame.

We installed the accessory drive on the engine.

Click on the pictures to see them bigger!

Placed the core support on along with mocking up the inner wheel wells and the fenders.

We got the fuel pressure regulator and fuel gauge installed.

Click on the pictures to see them bigger!

Mocking up of the fuel regulator and filter on the firewall.

Full length stainless Hooker dual exhaust is being installed.

Click on the pictures to see them bigger!

Completed the installation of the stainless Hooker dual exhaust.

Our custom built aluminium drive shaft came in and has been installed.

Click on the pictures to see them bigger!

Core support and inner wheel wells have been painted.

The gas tank is ready for installation onto the body when the body goes back on.

Click on the pictures to see them bigger!

The hood and fenders are going to get primered.

The inner wheel wells have been installed.

Click on the pictures to see them bigger!

Receiver drier has been installed for the air conditioning. 

The headlights have been reinstalled.

Click on the pictures to see them bigger!

We have gotten the body primered.

The cold air intake tube has been installed.

Click on the pictures to see them bigger!

The trunk has been painted.

The under belly of the car is painted.

Click on the pictures to see them bigger!

The interior of the car has been painted.

Getting the body ready for paint in the door, trunk and hood jambs.

Click on the pictures to see them bigger!

The body is back on the frame and take a look at that blue. 

The steering column has been installed.

Click on the pictures to see them bigger!

The new dash and gauges are installed.

Applied a layer of second skin to the body of the car. This will dampen the sounds and vibrations in the car.

Click on the pictures to see them bigger!

The front and rear speakers have been installed, along with the amplifier in the trunk.

Started on the interior upholstery.


After...