The Willys Jeep Station Wagon, Jeep Utility Wagon and Jeep Panel Delivery are automobiles produced by Willys and Kaiser Jeep in the United States from 1946 to 1964, with production in Argentina and Brazil continuing until 1970 and 1977 respectively. They were the first mass-marketed all-steel station wagons designed and built as a passenger vehicle.
With over 300,000 wagons and its variants built in the U.S., it was one of Willys’ most successful post-World War II models.
For some time after the 1949 introduction of a four-wheel drive option, the 2WD was sold as “Station Wagon”, while the 4WD was marketed as “Utility Wagon”. The 4WD Willys Jeep Wagon is often considered the first production sport utility vehicle.
In 1955 a number of new models were added. The 6-226 model lineup gained stripped chassis, flat face cowl, cowl/windshield and ambulance models. The 475-line received only the cowl/windshield. Willys withdrew from the passenger car market and renamed the vehicle the Utility Wagon. The seventh seat and the overdrive were deleted, and the Planadyne front suspension used with the two-wheel drive wagon was replaced with a beam axle. Warn hubs, with which the front drive mechanism could be disengaged by turning the hubs by hand, became optional on four-wheel drive models.
We will be removing the engine, new wiring harness and doing a disk brake conversion.
In the process of engine removal, we have removed the grille/core support for easier access to the engine.
The engine has been removed.
We have gotten the engine and transmission removed.
Mocking up the transmission to secure proper fittings for the new crossmember and engine.
Working on assembling the new 4.3L V6 engine.
With the new engine, we have had to box in the frame since a newer 4.3L V6 engine is going in.
The crossmember has been installed on the new 4.3L V6 engine.
New coil over shocks have been assembled and waiting to be installed.
The new engine mounts are being installed and take a look at the old engine mounts